CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Eel, it's what's for dinner.


When I first moved to Hawaii I was really annoyed with all of the people who were SO afraid to go play in the water because they were afraid a Shark would eat them. How many shark attacks have you really heard of and how many people go in the water everyday and are never bit? Come on!

But then some jerk ruined my life and told me that they were not afraid of sharks but that they were afraid an eel would bite them and latch on to their arm. I immediately adopted that fear right then and there and for the past 4 and a half years thought the worst thing that could ever happen would be to have an eel bite me in the water.

Have you ever seen their face up close...SCARY! No wonder Ariel was afraid of Ursula's helpers.


So anyway, I was surfing at Turtle Bay last night and I was pretty close to the reef shelf. I was laying on my board and this thing hops by my face and I sat up really fast. It slithered down my board and I started SCREAMING! My first thought was Blue Bubble tail (but this is too fat), no it's a Snake (no snakes in hawaii), then it's an EEL! get it off! My one true nightmare. As it slithered toward my crotch I started swinging my hands at it to keep it away. I felt a tug on my bathing suit and had visions of it going into my suit so I jumped off my board to safety. What safety? Now I have no idea where it is so I yanked my board towards me, jumped on it and rode the next wave to shore...shaking the whole way. It was a darker gray color with a hint of blue and maybe a foot long and as fat as a water hose, so I think the eels in the pictures (taken at Sharks Cove) are maybe what it looked like close up. I've heard some Hawaiians say that Turtles and sharks and other animals may be your ancestor come to protect you. No offense EEL, but if you are my ancestor...then I want protection from you!



And the ladies above have nothing to do with eels. I just wanted to catch your eye so you'd read my post!

8 comments:

Anna K. said...

Goodness Gracious Jackie...that was so scary! I thought a shark was after you when I heard you yelping. I'm glad it didn't bite a hole in your stomach! Good thing you quickly caught that wave!

.From Her. said...

Oh good godfrey daniels!! THAT IS SO SICK!! NASTY!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH!

You KNOW I am freaking out right now. Ew. Sick. Nasty. Ew. Ew. Ew.

SICK.

Busy B Preschool said...

That is so crazy. I am glad you survived. I like the picture of the fat ladies too that made me crack up.

Stephanie said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! i have never been more sweaty and nervous while reading someones blog!! i HATE anything resembling a snake. uggghhhh... i am so sorry that had to happen to you. gross.

Hanna said...

I am so afraid of sea life...even reading this gave me the creeps. yuck...I must shake that sick image from my mind before it starts to haunt me.

My Dearest Rich said...

SICK. Thats all I have to say... SICK. I was once bitten on my pinky finger by one at Huanama Bay years ago....I'll never forget THAT memory!

lindsey said...

that is so scary! I hate the thought of being attacked in water. Its like when your trying to run away in a bad dream and no matter how hard you try you cant go fast enough! Im glad you survived and impressed your feeling well enough to surf, thats awesome.

PS
That is the sickest group of women I've ever seen. Are they even wearing bottoms? I cant tell!! Nasty.

Leif + Bree said...

I hear the best way to avoid being attacked by a rogue eel is to camouflage ones self as Santa Claus. Little do people know, eels and Santa Claus are mortal enemies. It was a feud started long before time began. Here is a link to a picture that demonstrates what I am referring to.

http://tiny.cc/fMAgV