CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 13, 2008

I will miss you Granpa Julian!


My dear sweet Grandpa Julian passed away in the morning on April 8th 2008 at age 87. His wife Doris and 3 of his children have passed on before him so I am so excited for their reunion. He will be missed by his 5 children and 35 grandchildren. Oh did I forget to mention he has 38 GREAT-granchildren? He was a fighter pilot in WWII, and there are not many that have survived as long as he did. He was also one of the most faithful and obedient people I have ever known. Chris and I are now grandparentless so if anyone wants to offer their grandparent as a temporary fill-in we would much appreciate that. The picture above is of My grandpa, Uncle Kim, his son Scott, Aunt Mignon and some cute great grandkids that I hopefully can meet in Utah this week. When I get home (April 21st) I will post some cool young pics of my grandaddy. He was a handsome man!
My sister Joni made a list of her favorite Grandpa moments and I wanted to share them:
1. Grandpa and I trying (unsuccessfully) to save the peach tree on the side of the house at Shiloh Ranch.
2. Grandpa pruning the trees in the backyard of the white house making a big pile of branches we played in.
3. Grandpa giving "the test" to inititate the in-laws with a napkin (wing, wing, wing!)
4. Grandpa watching Marti and I hula dance in the backyard of the white house. He was always very sweet to Marti.
5. Grandpa listening to me play and sing with tears in his eyes. He always believed in me.
6. Grandpa taking bath's and using the door as a giant fan to air out the bathroom.
7. Grandpa eathing with his face as close to the food as possible.
8. Grandpa giving Darron Nielson and I marriage counsel even though we weren't dating.
9. Grandpa was never afraid to show his emotions or say "I love You".
10. Grandpa always had a special respect for mom, his little "Julie Bug". He was so proud of her.
11. Grandpa always went swimming with us at the Century Drive House.
12. Grandpa always smelling of "Old Spice".
13. Grandpa would come with us to the old ward on Bernard St. and everyone treatied him like a general authority because of his general authority length prayers.
14. Grandpa always took a moment to look you straight in the eyes before he hugged you. I could FEEL him say " I love you" before he said it. He made you feel like the most important person on earth.
15. Grandpa had a laugh that could topple tall buildings in a single bound. His sneezes could move mountains. I should know because I inherited his sneeze and dad's belch. James got the brains, I got the belch. What a world.
16. How many pale yellow station wagons were there?
Here are some words of advice that my Grandpa gave to my oldest Sister Jennie. He told her to teach this to her kids:
“Satan’s influence is rampant in the world. It is time to “circle the wagons”. As a family, he wants us to draw strength and testimony from one another.

“Take time to teach the children about the Iron Rod”

“Always be honest. Always be honorable.”

“Remember- There is no failure until we give up. We must never give up.”

He said to put a cute little sign in the kids’ rooms: “Don’t give up on me- God isn’t through with me yet!”

“Do you know if Jacob Alexander is a Bishop, Stake President, or General Authority in the making? How differently we would treat people if we knew what they will become.”

He said to take a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle. Write:

Who you are What you do
(person’s name) things we do- good and bad

“Always separate the person from the negative action. Treat people as they can become.”

“Tell the children, individually, that the Savior died for us all; but he would have done it even if it was just for one person. Just for you. Just for me. His love is that great.”

Finally, he said, “Parlez-vous francais?”

“Je parle francais un peaux” I replied.

“Chevrolet Coupe-ay?” he returned!!!

6 comments:

RUBY said...

thank you for this jack...i loved the intro and joni's remembrance! wow..i think we all have some of the most funniest story about him! well i hope you can be there for me too since i wasnt able to slip away with you! i love you aunty and i am glad we have eachother over here!!! MWAH!

My Dearest Rich said...

Jackie, that is so cute! I can't believe you had a Grandma Doris too! That must have been the NAME back in the day! :) Anyway, we miss you around here, but I am DEFINITELY willing to share my grandma Smith out here in Kailua. She would be the closest to you. She might not remember your name after about 5 minutes, so as long as you don't mind...then it's all good! Hope you're having a great time with family, all things considering! You are missed here!

Anonymous said...

From what i have heard, your Grandpa was a pretty neat man! i am sure he will be missed, but think of how much fun he is having with his Bride and his children, what a greeting in heaven!

p.s. we surfed Kahana Bay today, pretty cool experience and i caught the longest wave EVER! but it wasn't the same with out you! cant wait for you to come back. miss you and love you Missy

Dickson Family said...

I am so sorry about your gramps Jackie. He sounds like such an amazing person. Your list of your favorite grandpa moments totally had me shedding tears. Hope you make it back to Cali sooner than later so we can hang. Love ya!!! Natalie

shira said...

Jackie, I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I'm sure you brought tons of joy into his life with you sweet and bubbly personality.

Rach said...

I love it. I didn't even know Grandpa, but I will miss him too. Hope your trip was a good visit. Can't wait to have you back.

rach